· 700g floury potatoes (such as King Edwards), sliced.
· 100ml plant based cream cheese.
· 1 medium onion finely sliced.
· pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
· (optional) 1 to 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
· salt and pepper
· plain flour, for dusting
· 2 x 375g blocks of puff pastry or 2 sheets of puff pastry (most are vegan but check the ingredients)
· 250g plant-based cheese.
· 50g plant-based parmesan cheese
· Eggless egg wash (50ml plant-based milk with a drop of maple syrup in it)
1. First, we need to pre heat our oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Now tip the sliced potatoes into a pan of cold water and bring them up to the boil and simmer for about 4 to 5 mins until they are nearly cooked but still a little bite in them.
2. Drain well and pop them back into the saucepan, allow them to cool and then mix with the cream cheese, onion, cheese as well as the parmesan, you’re seasoning and finally sprinkle over the nutmeg and set aside as we are ready for pie making.
3. Dust your work surface with flour, roll the first block of pastry to a circle about 28cm wide and place on a baking tray (or use ready rolled puff pastry and cut out the rounds and the leftovers can be used for mini pies or pasties).
4. Arrange the potatoes and cheese mix into the middle of the pastry leaving a 1cm border at the edge of the pastry, this is where we glue the lid on with eggless egg wash.
5. Roll the remaining pastry out to a circle about 30cm wide (slightly bigger as its covering those cheesy potatoes, dusting with more flour if needed.
6. Brush the edges of the potato pastry on the tray with eggless eggwash, then drape over the larger circle and seal the sides well, crimping as you go round. A tight seal is important to stop the cheese escaping.
7. Now brush all over with eggless egg wash and lightly score a spiral into the pastry with the back of a knife (it won’t alter the flavour, just showboating!).
8. Finally bake the pie for 30 mins (you can re glaze the pie halfway through the bake) until golden brown and puffed up and as soon as the pie comes out of the oven leave to cool for 5 mins, or you will most likely burn yourself as it will be pretty hot.
9. Serve with a nice apple and walnut salad. enjoy!