Sat, 9 July 2022
Karthik Thiru's Masala Dosa
1.5 cup rice
.5 cup Urad Dal or Black Gram Lentils
1 Spoon Chall Dall or Yellow Split Peas
1 Tea Spoon Fenugreek Seed
For Potato Masala:
1 Onion medium diced
1 Spoon Mustard seeds
1 Spoon Urad Dal (Black Gram)
50g Fresh Curry Leaves (dried if not available)
5 Green Chilli
1 Tea Spoon Turmeric Powder
1 Clove Ginger
2 Teaspoon peanut or coconut oil
1 Teaspoon sea salt
For Coconut Chutney:
1 Count or 100-gram Grated coconut
2 Green Chilli
1 Glove Ginger
To make Dosa batter
1. Rinse the rice, lentils, and fenugreek seeds, then soak in 1 litre of water for 4 to 5 hours.
2. Strain out the water and keep it to one side. Add everything into a blender, along with a ½ cup of the soaked and strained water to the lentils. Blend very well until it becomes a paste of similar thickness to pancake batter.
3. Leave this batter at room temperature or warmer place for another 8 hours to ferment.
To make Potato Masala
1. Peel and then boil 4 medium-sized potatoes (500g) in water and a pinch of salt.
2. Roughly smash this potato using a spoon.
3. Keep a pan in medium heat and 1 teaspoon of oil once the oil is hot add a 1 teaspoon of mustard seed and the urad dal.
4, Add 20 to 25 curry leaves and add 1 full chopped onion and 1 teaspoon of finely chopped ginger and leave until the onion gets brown.
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric powder. Now add a half cup of water. Once the water becomes boiling add the mashed potatoes. And mix well for another one minute.
To make Coconut Chutney:
1. Add coconut, ginger, green chilli, and salt add half a cup of hot water in a blender.
2. Blend until like a pesto in consistency.
To make Masala Dosa:
1. Heat a cast iron pan or a flat non-stick pan at medium heat. Smear some oil if using an iron pan or griddle, otherwise heat it dry.
2. Spread the batter in a circular way on the pan and leave to cook for a minute, sprinkling some oil on the top and sides.
3. When you see the base has become golden, the edges have separated from the pan and the batter has been cooked, place a portion of the potato masala filling on top to complete the dosa.
4. Fold the dosa and you're ready to serve.
Sun, 19 March 2023
Chef Krissy Gibson joins us to make her amazing Apple Cakes!View More.
Sat, 18 March 2023
Chef Krissy Gibson is making a Chocolate Truffles in studioView More.