Easy Crusty Bread
Sat, 20 February 2021
450g Self-raising flour
Less than 1g Yeast (¼ teaspoon)
5g Salt (1 teaspoon)
360 mls Warm Water
Handful walnuts, optional
Handful dried cranberries, optional
1. The night before you need it, mix flour with yeast and salt. Then add warm water and combine. If you have chosen to add the walnuts and/or dried cranberries, add those too.
2. Cover with cling film and let rest 12 to 18 hours at room temperature.
3. The next day, drop your dough onto a floured surface. Roll just a couple of times in flour without fussing too much.
4. Place on clean, floured, cotton towel. Fold towel over dough and let rise 2 hours.
5. During the last half hour, heat a covered casserole dish in 230 degree (Celsius) oven. Plop dough in the hot pot, put the hot lid back on, and bake 30 minutes.
6. Take off lid and bake for 15 more minutes until golden brown. The version with cranberries and walnuts is wonderful for breakfast, or to enjoy with your favourite cheeses.