Cauliflower and Mushroom Hotpot with Scalloped Dijon Potatoes
Tue, 20 October 2020
Vegan and gluten free friendly
For the base:
Sunflower or rapeseed oil
1 head cauliflower broken into florets
200g button mushrooms, halved
2 carrots chopped small
1 leek [thinly sliced]
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 cinnamon stick
10 bay leaves
150 ml red wine
100 ml tamari/gluten free soy sauce
60 ml agave syrup
40g potato flour or cornflour whisked into a slurry with 100 ml water
For the topping:
750 g baby potatoes thinly sliced
100ml soy milk
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
Pinch of each turmeric and black pepper
Tbsp agave syrup
Tbsp yeast flakes
200ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
Salt to taste
1) First cook the potatoes for the topping in a large pot of salted water until al dente and them set them aside to cool.
2) Start on the base; Line two baking trays with parchment and scatter the cauliflower florets on one and the mushrooms on the other, sprinkle both with a little oil and place them in the oven for about 20 minutes to roast.
3) Bring a little sunflower/rapeseed oil to a shimmer in a large saucepan, add the carrots, leeks, garlic, cinnamon and bay and cook until soft. Set aside.
4) In another small saucepan bring the wine, tamari and agave to a rolling simmer for about two minutes, add the potato or cornflour slurry and bring back to the boil while stirring continuously. The sauce will thicken in moments, take it off the heat and stir it into the carrots and leeks. Stir in the roast cauliflower and mushrooms.
5) Using a stick blender puree the mustard, turmeric, agave, black pepper and soy milk, slowly add the oil until it thickens into a mayonnaise of sorts. If you have a nutri bullet you can blend all the ingredients together including the oil. Fold the resulting mix though the potatoes and season to taste.
6) Spoon the base mixture evenly into a suitable oven dish and top with the potatoes. Place the dish back into the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the top begins to brown. Leave to sit for a few minutes before serving.