Eggs Benectine Christmas Style
Thu, 5 December 2019
200g Black Pudding cut into cubes
50g Plain Flour
4 Large Potatoes, peeled and grated
1 Egg, beaten
Pinch of Bread Soda, sieved
Salt and Pepper
Oil for frying
Ingredeints for Hollandaise Sauce
2 egg yolks
½ tsp white wine vinegar
For the eggs and Garnish
8 poached eggs (Poached in 1pint of water and 2tbls of vinegar and a pinch of salt
4 slices of smoked streaky bacon grilled
- Put grated potatoes, flour, bread soda, egg, chopped pudding. salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Heat a pan to medium, add a 1-2 tsp of butter, fry pudding either side until nice and crispy, add contents of pan to potato mix.
- Mix well, until all ingredients are blended together. Use as soon as mixture is mixed, do not allow to stand as the mixture can discolour.
- Re-heat the frying pan with a little oil and butter, when hot drop spoonsful of mixture onto pan and fry for about 3 to 4 minutes, then turn and repeat on the other side.
- Boxty should be golden brown when cooked.
Method For The Hollandaise Sauce
- Melt 125g butter in a saucepan and skim any white solids from the surface. Keep the butter warm.
- Put 2 egg yolks, ½ tsp white wine, a pinch of salt and a splash of ice-cold water in a metal or glass bowl that will fit over a small pan.
- Whisk for a few mins, then put the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk continuously until pale and thick, about 3-5 mins.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the melted butter, bit by bit until it’s all incorporated and you have a creamy hollandaise. (If it gets too thick, add a splash of water.)
- Season with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little cayenne pepper. Keep warm until needed.
- Bring 1 pint of water to a simmer, add 2tbls of vinegar and a pinch of salt, crack eggs individually into a bowl and place in water, poach for 3-4 minutes
- To serve, place two poached eggs on each boxty cake, top with a slice of smoked streaky bacon and mask with some hollandaise sauce