Pork, Fennel & Beef Meatballs
Sun, 5 February 2023
4 tablespoons olive oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ fennel bulb, finely chopped
500g minced pork
500g minced beef
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
Salt and pepper to season and taste
50g grated parmesan
For the tomato sauce:
1 chopped red onion
3 garlic cloves, sliced
50ml white wine
Can of tomatoes
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sweat off the onion and fennel for approximately 5 minutes.
2. Place the pork mince, beef mince, fennel seeds, eggs, parsley and breadcrumbs in a bowl and mix together with the cooked onion and fennel before rolling into balls.
3. Place the meatballs on a heated frying pan and fry until nicely coloured and browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. To make the sauce, sweat off the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
5. Then add the white wine and cook off for 2-3 minutes.
6. Next add the tomato paste, can of tomatoes and the water. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Blitz the tomato sauce and add meatballs. Cook for a further 5-8 minutes and then serve with your favourite pasta garlic bread and grated parmesan cheese.