Baked Brunch Casserole
Sun, 23 January 2022
Dean Diplock's Baked Brunch Casserole
250g Smoked Streaky Rashers, sliced
2 Smoked Polish Sausages (Kielbasa 350g ), sliced
2 Shallots, sliced
½ Red Onion, chopped
½ bunch Spring Onions, chopped
3 large Garlic cloves, crushed
2 cups, Broccoli Floretts (par blanched)
100 g Feta cheese, diced
2 cups, Butternut Squash, diced and cooked
15g Thyme Fresh, Chopped
15g Oregano Fresh, Chopped
15g Italian Parsley, rough chopped
2 whole Chilli, sliced
1 jar Roasted Red Peppers (280g), chunky diced
1 punnet Mushrooms Small, fried
2 cups Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
12 eggs, medium
250ml Cream Fresh
2 each French Onion Soup packet
Olive oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180?C and grease an oven proof dish (23cm x 30cm x 6cm deep)
- In a dry cast iron pot, brown the bacon, no need for oil as the bacon is fatty enough. Then add the sausages & brown a bit. Transfer the meat to a bowl.
- In the same pot you just used, sauté the shallots, red onion, garlic, mushrooms, chilli and peppers until onions soften. Add a little water if necessary, to prevent catching.
- Add thyme & oregano and cook for a few minutes. Return meats to the pot and mix through.
- Transfer all the hot ingredients to the greased oven dish.Top with half the parsley, half of the spring onion & half the cheddar cheese.
- Next, top the mixture with the par cooked broccoli, cubed butternut and feta cheese and finish with the remaining cheddar, parsley and spring onion
- In a bowl crack the 12 eggs and beat in the cream and 2 satchets of brown onion soup. Season with black pepper only.
- Pour the egg mix over the filling in the casserole dish and place in the oven at 180?C for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes, turn the heat down to 160?C and cook for a futher 30 minutes or until all the egg is cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with a crisp mixed salad and herb dressing
*Hint: This dish can be prepared the day before, refrigerated overnight and baked off in the morning, ready for your late morning brunch, fuss free.