• 500g of mixed mushrooms (this is a mushroom medley but you can just use all the same mushrooms) • 400ml vegetable stock • 4 tbsp olive oil • 8 shallots, peeled and quartered • 200g carrots,peeled, and cut into chunks • 350g turnip/sweede, peeled and cut into small cubes • 3 tbsp cornflour • 100ml red wine • 1 tin of cooked green or brown lentils • A few sprigs of fresh thyme, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish • 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly • Melted plant based butter 600g potatoes, peeled and sliced
1. Preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the shallots, medley of mushrooms, carrots, turnip/swede and 4 tbsp water. Cook for 10 mins until the shallots have softened. Gradually add the stock and wine. Cook, stirring continuously, for 3-4 mins . Stir through the lentils, chopped thyme and redcurrant jelly. Season well and finally Stir in the cornflour and cook for 1 min, then transfer to a large oven-proof dish or casserole pot.
3. Finely slice the potatoes into rounds. Parboil for 5-6 mins until slightly softened. Drain and arrange the potatoes in rings on top of the hotpot, overlapping slightly. Brush with the remaining oil/plant based butter. Cover with foil or a lid and bake for 50 mins until the potatoes are just tender.
4. Increase the oven temperature to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 mins until the potatoes are cooked and golden brown. Scatter with thyme to garnish.and serve with vegetables of choice Enjoy ………..