Celeriac & Roast Garlic soup with Pancetta & Parsley Oil
Fri, 23 October 2020
1 head of garlic, halved
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1 celeriac around 500g, peeled and chopped
2 small white potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 bulb of fennel, washed and finely chopped
1 litre chicken stock or vegetable if vegetarian
A handful of smoked chopped pancetta or bacon
A large handful of parsley
60ml of olive oil
1. Place the 2 halved heads of garlic on a piece of foil and drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt.
2. Wrap in the foil and place in the oven at 180c and allow to roast for 45 minutes. Squeeze out of the skins and set aside.
3. Fry the onion in a splash of olive oil until soft and translucent in a large soup or stock pot
4. Add the celeriac, fennel and potato and saute for 10 minutes.
5. Add the roasted garlic and pour in the stock.
6. Allow the soup to simmer gently for 30-45 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
7. Puree the soup and add a little more stock if the soup is too thick.
8. Add the cream, butter and season to well with salt and black pepper
9. To make the parsley oil, combine the parsley and oil in a small food processor then blend until the oil is really green and silky
10. Fry the pancetta until crisp
11. Serve the soup with a swirl of the parsley oil and a sprinkling of the smoked pancetta