Pesto Panko Crumbed Chicken Kiev with a Creamy Sunblushed Tomato Sauce
Tue, 14 November 2023
4 chicken fillets
120g garlic butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 large eggs
200g panko breadcrumbs
50 g grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
50g chopped basil
Olive oil, for frying
Creamy Sun-Blushed Tomato Sauce:
• 150 grams sun-blushed tomatoes, chopped
• 15 ml olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 240 ml heavy cream
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Fresh basil, chopped, for garnish
• Cut the garlic butter into 40g pieces. Place it on a long piece of cling film, shape it into a cylinder, half the length of the chicken fillet. Roll it up and twist both ends to secure. Freeze to harden.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C.
• In three separate shallow bowls, set up a breading station. Place flour in the first bowl, beaten eggs in the second bowl, and a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, and chopped basil in the third bowl.
• Butterfly the chicken by cutting a lengthways slit in the chicken fillet. Take a roll of garlic butter out of the freezer, remove the cling film and pop it in the centre of the chicken fillet. Fold back over the top part of the chicken fillet.
• Dredge each chicken breast in the flour, dip into the beaten eggs, and coat with the pesto-infused panko mixture, pressing the crumbs onto the chicken to adhere.
• Pour oil on the oven tray and heat in the oven. medium-high heat. Once hot, add the breaded chicken breasts. Spritz the top side up with spray oil. Place the tray back in the oven and roast for 25 minutes until golden brown and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 75°C.
Creamy Sun-blushed Tomato Sauce
• In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
• Add sun-blushed tomatoes to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
• Pour in the heavy cream and bring the mixture to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Simmer the sauce for 5-7 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
To Serve :
Plate the Pesto Panko Crumbed Chicken Kiev, drizzle with the Creamy Sun-Blushed Tomato Sauce, and garnish with fresh chopped basil. Serve with your favourite side dishes, such as mashed potatoes or steamed vegetables. Enjoy.