Spiced Rum, Orange & Vanilla Teacake
150g soft brown sugar
250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp mixed spice
50mls spiced rum
Juice and zest 1 orange
1 tbsp vanilla
300g dried fruit
1. Boil the kettle. In a jug pop in 2 tea bags and pour over the boil water. Allow the tea to stew for 2 minutes. Open the fruit and pop in a big bowl. Pour the tea over the fruit. Add in the spiced rum to the warm tea, the zest and juice of the orange and the vanilla. Allow to stew for a couple of hours.
2. Weigh out all the ingredients. Preheat the oven to 180?. Line the loaf tin with paper liners or parchment paper.
3. Whisk the egg and sugar for about 30 seconds/1 minute until it is all combined.
4. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and spice.
5. Pour in the tea and fruit mix and gently stir it all around.
6. Pour into a tin and bake for 45mins to 1 hour.
7. To test if it is baked, insert a long thin knife or a skewer into the centre. If it comes out clean it is cooked. If it comes out a little sticky and wet it is no done. If it is browning too much on the top cover with a little foil.
8. Allow to cool a little and serve warm or toasted with butter and marmalade.