120g mature Irish smoked cheddar , (or your favourite cheese)
For the Surf
8 large prawn, deveined and peeled
2 clove of chopped garlic
Juice of ½ lemon
For the burger sauce
1 tsp horseradish sauce
2-3 tsp of tomato ketchup
1 tsp of chopped green onion or chives
4 burger buns, split
4 Baby Gem lettuce leaves,
2 ripe beef tomatoes , sliced
8 raw red onion rings
8 slices of gherkin (large and sweet pickled)
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onion and garlic with a good pinch of salt for 15 mins until soft and translucent. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 15 mins.
2. In a large bowl, massage the mince with your hands for 5 mins to tenderise the meat, then add the cooled onion and garlic mix, the breadcrumbs chorizo and egg yolk. Season generously. Divide evenly into four. Form the beef portions into patties, patting each into a 10cm round.
3. Divide the cheese into four.
4. Working one at a time, put a piece of cheese into the centre of a beef patty, then bring the meat around the cheese to cover. Lightly pat with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly, then chill, covered, for at least 30 mins.
5. Make the sauce by whisking together the mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup and green onion, leave to one side
6. Heat a pan, add some oil, place the burgers on the pan and let cook approx 4 -5 minutes either side, ensuring the burgers are fully cooked through (core temperature of 75c)
7. On a separate pan, melt the butter, add the garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, add the prawns and fry until cooked through, squeeze with lemon and add a pinch of sea salt
8. If you like, toast the buns. Spread all the cut sides with the sauce, then on one half place the burger, and spoon over 2 prawns and some of the pan juices
9. Place the other half of Bun and top with a baby-gem lettuce leaf, tomatoes Gherkin and 2 red onion rings.