Wed, 26 January 2022
Catherine Leyden's simple scones recipe
· 225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
· 150ml/¼pt Milk (approx)
· Pinch of Salt
· 25g/1 oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar (optional)
· 25g/1 oz Butter or Margarine
Above quantities may be doubled if you wish
1. Sieve flour and salt into a bowl, stir in sugar, if used.
2. Rub in butter/margarine.
3. Add sufficient milk to make a soft dough.
4. Turn onto a floured board and gently knead to remove any cracks.
5. Roll out lightly to 1" in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter dipped in flour.
6. Place on a floured preheated baking sheet/tray, glaze if liked with beaten egg or milk.
7. Bake in a preheated oven 220°C/425°F/Gas 8 on upper shelf position for 10 mins approx.
8. Cool on a wire tray.
For Fruit Scones:
· 50g/2oz of Shamrock Sultanas, Cherries or Raisins may be added to the dry ingredients before adding the liquid
For Wholemeal/Brown Scones
· Use 125g/4oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal and 125g/4oz Odlums Self Raising Flour following the same method as above