Mexican Style Corn Cake
Sat, 17 October 2020
Chef Lily Ramirez-Foran, from Picado Mexican Cookery School joins us in the AM kitchen this morning making Mexican Style Corn Cake
250 grams All purpose Flour
2 tablespoons Baking Powder
250 grams Fresh Corn Kernels OR frozen corn kernels (Frozen Corn Kernels will be used for this live recipe)
250 mls full fat Milk
175 grams Caster Sugar
125 grams Butter, room temperature
4 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon Mexican Vanilla Extract
- Start by sifting the flour and baking powder and set them aside.
- Take the corn kernels and place them in the blender and add the milk. Blend them into a smooth pulp and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar together until they're light and fluffy, about 5 minutes in the stand up mixer. Once they're creamed, add the eggs one at a time and whisk in between.
- Add the mixture of the blended corn and milk from the blender to the mix.
- Pour the corny batter into a well greased 20 cm tin.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a cake taster or toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 5 minutes before turning it into a cooling rack.
- You can dust it with a little bit of icing sugar if you want or serve it with a little bit of creme fraiche and some berries.