Spiced Chicken Paella
Sat, 11 January 2020
4 x Chicken breasts, diced
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tbsp Ground coriander seeds
1 tbsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Smoked paprika
3 tbsp Soya sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
1 Red onion sliced
2 Garlic cloves crushed
A few stems of thyme and coriander
2 tbsp Rapeseed chili oil
1 tbsp Castor sugar
1 Small red pepper deseeded and sliced
300g Butternut squash cubed
400g Long grain rice
100g Frozen peas
900ml Chicken stock
2 Red Chili, sliced for garnish
2 tbsp Natural yoghurt
- Place chicken breasts in ziplock freezer bag and add turmeric, cajun spice, ground coriander, cumin & smoked paprika into bag on top of chicken.
- Pour in soya sauce and lemon juice, add the garlic, thyme and onion and mix together.
- Cover and chill for a couple of hours or overnight if you have time.
- Heat a large pan with the chili oil and sugar.
- As soon as sugar turns golden, add the marinated chicken and all of the juices.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes, turn the chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes to brown.
- Add the red pepper, butternut squash, peas, rice and chicken stock.
- Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the squash and rice are tender and the liquid absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and leaved covered for 10 minutes before service.
- Scatter with some freshly sliced chilis, coriander & natural yoghurt to serve.