500ml (2 cups) milk, plus 60ml (1/4 cup) extra for the sauce
50g (13⁄4 oz) unsalted butter 2 tbsp flour
125g (1 cup) Cheddar cheese, grated
1⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg black pepper, to season
1 slice wholemeal bread, blitzed into crumbs
1) Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the pack. When it is al dente, drain and leave aside.
2) Add all of the vegetables to a steamer over a pot of boiling water and gently steam for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft but with a little bite.
3) Place the vegetables in a blender with 500ml milk until smooth and really creamy.
4) Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, then whisk in the flour and stir well until it forms a roux (or paste). Whisk in 60ml milk, until the sauce is smooth, then pour in the puréed vegetables and mix really well.
5) Bring to a bubble, remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, nutmeg, pepper and cooked pasta.
6) Place the breadcrumbs into a dry pan and toast until crunchy.
7) Serve the mac and cheese in bowls with a sprinkling of toasted breadcrumbs on top.