Prawn Sambal - A spicy Malaysian Prawn dish flavoured with lemongrass and fresh ginger. (Serves 4)
• 8 Shallots, Peeled
• 4 Cloves Garlic, peeled
• 2 Fresh Lemongrass Stalks (white part only), chopped
• 3 - 5 Red Chiles
• 1 Teaspoon dried ground turmeric
• 2 Tablespoons Fresh Ginger thumb size
• 4 Kaffir Lime Leaves thinly chopped
• 6 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil (plus more if needed)
• 2 Tablespoons Tamarind Paste
• 3 Teaspoons Brown Sugar
• 1 Tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce
• 3 Teaspoons Light Soy Sauce
• 400g Large Dublin Bay Prawn, peeled and devein
• 100 g Green Beans- Chopped
• 200ml Cup Water (plus more if needed)
• Lime Wedges, Fresh Coriander or julienned Kaffir Lime Leaves as a garnish
Coconut Rice (Nasi Lemak)
• 250g Basmati Rice
• 150ml Coconut Milk
• 150mls Chicken Stock
• 125mls Water
• 2 Pandanus leaves (screwpine optional )
• Thumb of Ginger (crushed)
1. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, turmeric, lemongrass, chilies and 2 Kaffir limes leaves to a blender or food processor with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Blend until smooth. Add additional oil in small amounts if the ingredients are not blending well.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a pan or wok over medium heat. Add the paste and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes aromatic. Do not burn as the paste may become bitter.
3. Add the prawns and coat thoroughly with the paste.
4. Squeeze the remaining 2 Kaffir lime leaves in your palm to release the flavour and add to the dish.
5. Add the tamarind paste, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce and the beans. Add enough water or stock to create a rich sauce, starting with 100ml and adding more if needed. The sauce should be the consistency of a thick ketchup.
6. Allow the dish to continue to simmer for 3 -5 minutes until the prawn are completely pink and cooked through.
7. Serve with rice on the side, and garnish with lime wedges, fresh coriander and julienned Kaffir lime leaves (optional).
8. Cooking the rice: add all ingredients into saucepan and bring it to boil then reduced lowest heat with lids on until rice is cook. ( 20-25 minutes)