500g Hake (skinless and finely chopped) 1 cloves Garlic minced 4 Spring Onions 2-3 leaves of Thai Basil or Mint 4 sprigs Coriander, finely chopped 2 tsp. Nam Plaa (Fish Sauce) 1 tbsp. Red Curry Paste 100g finely sliced Green Beans 1 red Chilli, finely chopped, seeds removed 1 cup. Sunflower Oil
FOR THE COATING 100g plain Flour, well-seasoned, plus extra for your hands 1 Egg beaten 175g Panko breadcrumbs
SWEET CHILLI AND MANGO DIP INGREDIENTS:
1 cup White Wine Vinegar ½ cup Granulated Sugar 1-3 red Chilli Pepper 1 tbsp finely minced Garlic 1 tbsp Lime Juice 1 tbsp Honey 1 large Mango, peeled and diced
METHOD: SWEET CHILLI AND MANGO DIP
• Place all ingredients, except the diced mango, into a saucepan • Heat on a medium heat until boiling • Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes • Increase heat to medium again and return to the boil • Add the diced mango to the pot • Reduce heat and simmer. Then it is ready to serve.
METHOD: THAI STYLE FISH CAKE
• Finely chop the fish or put in a food processor and blitz for about 5 seconds. Add the fish sauce, egg, coriander, curry paste, chilli and garlic and blitz again until everything is combined
• Add the green beans and spring onions. With damp hands make 10-12 balls and flatten them to make fish cakes
• Put the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in 3 separate dishes or plates. Dip each fish cake in turn in the flour, then the egg and finish with the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess as you go. Sit each crumbed fish cake on a piece of greaseproof paper while you finish the others.
• Heat the oil in a frying pan, then fry the fish cakes in batches for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp. Keep the first batch warm in the oven while you finish cooking the rest.
• Garnish with spring onions and serve straight away with some Sweet Chilli dipping sauce and side salad.