Poached Salmon Pate with Pickled Cucumbers
Thu, 8 June 2023
Edward Hayden's Poached Salmon Pate with Pickled Cucumber – The Perfect Summer Starter
Poached Salmon Pate: Ingredients
· 4 fillets poached salmon (see below)
· 1 small shallot – finely diced
· 2 tbsp mayonnaise
· 2 tbsp sweet chilli jam/sauce
· Juice of 1 lemon
· Cracked Black Pepper
1. Mash the salmon and place it in a large bowl with the shallot, lemon juice and chilli sauce. Mix until a relatively coarse puree has been achieved.
2. Add in the mayonnaise until a much smoother consistency has been achieved.
3. Taste the pate and correct the seasoning if required.
Poached Side of Salmon: Ingredients
· 6 x 7oz/200g portions salmon
· 1 glass of white wine
· 1 glass of water
· Lemon wedges
· Fresh parsley
· 1 onion-sliced
· 1 bay leaf
· Salt & Cracked black pepper
1. Line baking tray with parchment.
2. Put the salmon standing on the tray leaving the skin on the salmon.
3. Season the fish with a little salt and cracked black pepper.
4. Pour the wine and water over the fish.
5. Scatter the remaining herbs, onions and lemon wedges around the tray for additional flavour.
6. Loosely cover the fish with a piece of parchment or tin foil and put into a preheated oven (180 degrees).
7. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes, checking in on it occasionally.
8. Allow to cool, completely, on the tray.
9. When cool, transfer to the serving tray and garnish with lemon and lime, and puff pastry decorations.
Pickled Cucumber: Ingredients
· 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
· 1 tsp sugar
· 1 cucumber, very coarsely chopped or sliced (do not use seeds)
· ½ red onion - chopped
· ½ red chilli
1. Mix the vinegar and sugar together and bring to the boil.
2. Prepare all the vegetables and set aside.
3. Combine the ingredients and leave to stand overnight.
Serve the salmon pate on slices of brown bread with the pickled cucumber.