Modern Vanilla Slice
Tue, 12 January 2021
1 roll of convenience puff pastry (thawed naturally)
3 tablespoons custard (homemade or otherwise!!)
9floz/250ml cream-lightly whipped
12oz/350g fresh mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc)
Egg wash (1 egg & 100ml milk mixed together)
5oz/150g icing sugar
3-4 dessertspoons of boiling water
2oz/50g toasted flaked almonds
1) Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
2) Lightly flour your work surface.
3) Once the roll of puff pastry has defrosted cut it in two (lengthways)
4) Prick the pastry lightly all over with a fork and transfer it to a flat baking sheet
5) Mix the egg and milk together to make a light egg wash and brush all over the top of the pastry
6) Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and well risen
7) Allow the pastry to cool down. Meanwhile mix together the whipped cream and the custard
8) On a large chopping board place one piece of the cooked pastry and spread it with some of the custard flavoured whipped cream on top and then scatter with the selection of mixed berries.
9) Next mix the icing sugar with enough boiled water to make a paste and with a hot palette knife spread the paste all over the top of the second piece of pastry
10) Place the second sheet of cooked puff pastry on the top of the fruit and press down gently
11) Scatter with some toasted flaked almonds and a little grated chocolate. Decorate the top with some halved strawberries.
12) Using a sharp warm knife cut the entire dessert into slices and serve as soon as possible (need mam or dad to help with this!)
***Have a parent to assist when handling anything sharp or using anything hot!***