Sat, 27 June 2020
Chef: Charlo the Chef
(makes 16 dumplings)
For the dumpling dough:
140g/5oz Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
125ml/4fl oz Very Hot Water
For the stuffing:
110g/4oz Pork Mince
75g/3oz Chinese Cabbage, Finely Shredded
1tsp Grated Fresh Ginger
1tsp Grated Garlic Clove
½ Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
½ Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
½ tsp light soy sauce
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
½ Tbsp Scallions, Finely Sliced
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
75ml/3 Fl oz Water
For the dipping sauce:
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1Tbsp white Rice Vinegar
2 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 Tbsp Honey
1. For the dough, place the flour into a bowl and add in the very hot water.
2. Stir with a fork till combined and dough is formed in shape of a ball
3. Tip the dough mixture onto a clean work surface and knead for for 3-4 mins until smooth, if dough is sticky dust with extra flour
4. Put dough into a bowl and cover with damp cloth and set aside for 20 mins to rest
5. In a separate bowl, combine all the stuffing ingredients togeter and set aside.
6. Once the dough is rested, knead for 4-5 minutes, dusting with extra flour if it's too sticky
7. Once dough is smooth, roll dough out with rolling pin and cut with a scone cutter into 16 equal sized round discs.
8. Arrange the discs on a lightly floured tray and cover them with a damp kitchen towel to prevent them drying out until your ready to use them
9. Place 1 heaped teaspoon of the pork stuffing in to the centre of each disc and moisten edges with water
10. Fold the disc in half and pinch together with your fingers. The dumplings should look like a small Cornish pastie
11. Transfer each dumpling to a floured tray and keep it covered till you have stuffed all the dumplings in this way
12. To cook the dumplings, heat a large frying pan with the rapeseed oil.
13. Place dumplings flat side down in pan, reduce the heat and cook for 2 minutes until dumplings are lightly browned.
14. Turn the dumplings once and cook for another 2 minutes.
15. Add the water, cover the pan wtih a lid and cook for 10 minute until most of the liquid is absorbed.
16. Uncover the pan and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
17. To make the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
18. Remove the dumplings from the pan and serve with the dipping sauce.