Summer Fruit Torte
Fri, 17 May 2019
180g plain flour
180g caster sugar
180g room Temperature butter
1 tsp baking powder
Drop of vanilla extract
Fruit of choice eg peaches, nectarines, plums, apples, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries.
2 Tbsp caster sugar
Optional to finish – melted apricot jam to glaze finished cake, or you can drizzle with an icing sugar and water icing.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Line the bottom of a 8” springform cake tin with parchment paper and grease the sides
- In a stand mixer (or use a bowl & hand mixer) combine sifted flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs and a drop of vanilla extract. Mix until a smooth cake batter is formed.
- Transfer the batter into your cake tin and smooth off the top.
- Cut the chosen fruit into half or quarters and place on top of the cake batter, covering the top.
- Sprinkle on 2 tbsp of sugar
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 mins until golden brown and sponge baked all the way through.
- To give the cake a shine you can brush the top of the cake with melted apricot jam. Or you can make a thin icing with icing sugar and water and drizzle over the top.
- The cake can be served warm with custard, or leave to cool, drizzle with icing and serve with a nice dollop of whipped cream