• 250g Yellow Split Lentils
• 250g Red Split Lentils (These need to be soaked for at least 4 hours or even overnight)
• 1 Bunch Mint, chopped
• 2 Shallots, finely chopped
• 2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
• 1 Green Chilli, finely sliced
• 100g Butternut Squash, chopped into very small cubes
• 100g Peas
• 2 Tbsp. Gram Flour
• 1 Thumb sized piece of Ginger, finely chopped
• 1 Tbsp. Cumin Seeds
• Salt and Pepper to taste Oil for Shallow Frying
1. Soak the lentils in separate bowls for at least 4 hours or overnight
2. After soaking, drain the lentils and process until coarsely chopped (not fine). You could use the Pulse function for this if you are using a food mixer.
3. Blanch the cubes of Butternut Squash for a few minutes to soften them . Add the lentils and the squash into a mixing bowl with all the other ingredients, mix well and season to taste. The mixture should be paste like - not too wet or too dry. If it's too dry, you can add some water.
4. Form the mixture into patties and shallow fry them just to brown them off. Don't fry them for too long or they will become too dry.
5. Finish them off in the oven for five to ten minutes until the vegetables are all cooked through.
6. Serving Suggestions:
- Natural Yogurt, Lime and Mint Sauce
- Pickled Sliced Onions Tomato Chilli Chutney
- Vegetable Curry or Dahl