Coffee and Walnut Cake
Wed, 20 July 2022
Chef: Catherine Leyden
For the Sponge
175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
175g/6oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
175g/6oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
4 tablespoons Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon Boiling Water, cooled
50g/2oz Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
250g/9oz Mascarpone Cheese
3 tablespoons Icing Sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon Camp?Coffee Essence?
- Grease and base line tin or tins with greaseproof paper. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Place all ingredients for the cake - flour, butter/margarine, sugar, eggs, coffee and walnuts (if used) - into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to prepared tin or tins and bake as follows:
Sandwich Tins - upper shelf position for 30 minutes approx
2lb Loaf Tin - central oven position for 50-60 minutes approx
Ring Tin - central oven position for 30 minutes approx
- Cake is baked when top is gently pressed and it springs back.
- Remove from tin and cool on a wire tray.
- When completely cool, make the icing by beating all ingredients together until smooth and use to sandwich the cake or for topping or both! Decorate with walnuts to finish.
This recipe can be made in:
2 x 18cm/7" Sandwich Tins
1 x 2lb Loaf Tin (23cm x 11cm x 7cm/9" x 4" x 3" (approx)
1 x 23cm/9" Ring Tin