· 50g/2oz Grated Parmesan or Grated Cheddar (optional)
· Pinch of salt
· Cracked Black Pepper
· 4 large Chicken fillets cut into bite sized pieces
· 150g/5oz Button mushrooms sliced
· 50g/2oz Baby Spinach de-stemmed and washed
· 1 Small leek washed and chopped
· 2 Sticks celery peeled and chopped
· 1 tbsp Corn flour mixed
· 2 tbsp Water
· 125ml Creamy milk (half milk and cream)
Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees C/ 350 F/ Gas Mark 4.
For the crumble: Melt the butter in a saucepan and mix in the mustard, salt and pepper. Add the liquid to a bowl with the flour, oats and thyme and combine to form a crumble. Fold in the cheese, if you are using it. Put aside until ready to use.
For the filling: Fry the chicken in oil until golden and cooked through and remove with a slotted spoon leaving the juices from the chicken behind in the pan.
Add a little bit of water to the pan and mix through with the juices to make a stock. Remove from the pan and leave to one side for the sauce.
Next fry the leak and celery in butter on a medium heat for 2 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are golden in colour. When cooked, add in the saved stock, cornflour, water and creamy milk and stir through.
Next add the chicken and spinach into the sauce and spoon the filling into an oven proof dish.
Spread the crumble on top of the filling and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until lightly golden brown and the pie is heated through.