Wed, 2 May 2018
175g / 6oz Odlums self-raising flour
175g / 6oz caster sugar
Few drops of vanilla essence
450g packet Shamrock Ready to Roll Icing
250g packet Goodall's Ready to Roll Icing (colour of choice)
Silvers Balls, for decoration
Butter Icing, as per recipe below
For Butter Icing
75g/3oz Butter (room temperature)
175g/6oz Icing Sugar, sieved
Goodall's Colouring of choice
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
2. Grease and line two 8-inch sandwich tins.
2. Add all the ingredients and mix together.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth the top.
4. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
5. Turn out onto wire tray to cool.
1. Trim top of cake to level and turn upside down on cake board.
2. Make butter icing by beating butter and sugar together and add colour, if desired.
3. Use half of this to spread thinly over cake.
4. Roll out white icing to a thickness of 4-5mm and gently ease onto cake.
5. Trim around base of cake, re-roll remaining icing and cut out a cross/crucifix shape and place on top of cake.
6. Arrange silver balls on outline of cross.
7. Roll out coloured icing and cut out round discs (use cap of Silver Ball container or similar).
8. With remaining butter icing, attach discs around side of cake.
9. If liked, pipe Communion or Confirmation, name and date on top of cake.
Watch how it's made below: