VMTV in collaboration with Fís Eíreann/Screen Ireland launch Sharp Shorts – Our exciting new digital storytelling scheme for next generation, emerging and diverse talent.
Opens for Submissions: Friday 7th Jan 2022
About Sharp Shorts:
Emerging talent, new creative story tellers and diverse voices are invited to submit their digital short story ideas to VMTV for the opportunity to receive funding and support to produce them. Sharp Shorts is all about digital short story telling at its best and we want to hear from you.
Proposals for creative, noisy, and intriguing short films, docs, factual, or creative digital stories are what we are looking for. Companies or individuals with great Ideas that can be produced to between 3 to 5 minutes in duration can apply for this production funding. 10 successful projects will be selected to receive up to a €5,000 euro commission fee. The finished digital shorts will be premiered on VMTV Player in 2022.
What are we looking for?
This is your canvas and we are open to all creative ideas, limited only by your imagination, and that can be produced within a defined budget. How do you want the viewer to feel when they watch your film? Inspired, angry, informed, thrilled, entertained?
Sharp Shorts can be a broad range of concepts and styles from authored or scripted shorts, narrated or factual vignettes that offer fresh insights into lives, ideas, people, short format ideas, or stories that give voice to unexplored or underrepresented sectors of society. You may suggest new technical approaches, play with traditional concepts that make us laugh, cry, empathise or challenge. New on-screen talent may also see this as an opportunity to tell their story in a fresh new way.
Who Can Apply?
Are you a 3rd level TV, film or media student or recent graduate? Are you a new or established production company with a trainee you can support into this scheme? Do you come from a broad story telling background such as radio, podcast, influencer, actor, the theatre, poetry or spoken word, journalism, writing or digital creative production? This is a suggested list, as anyone over 18 with a great digital story idea can submit to Sharp Shorts.
• Companies and individuals may apply, but VMTV may require individual applicants; if shortlisted; to be partnered with a company in order to progress to a commission.
• This is a commissioning scheme. Finished projects may not apply for Sharp Shorts funding.
Applications Open From: Friday 7th Jan 2022 / Closing Date: March 18th 2022
Steps to Applying:
All submissions MUST have a clear written pitch attached (around 2 pages) and should include the following details
• The overall story/idea.
• Tell us a little bit about you, and why you want to tell this story.
• Give us a frame of reference for your idea reflecting the tone and scale of ambition.
• Submissions must have a logline - what is this short documentary in two or three sentences? You need an attention-grabbing summary.
• Briefly outline your previous story telling or production experience.
• Include names of any talent (in front of, and behind the camera) attached to the project and be clear about whether these names are suggestions or people who are already involved or committed.
• A detailed budget to a value range of €3,000 to €5,000.
• Any queries please email the Commissioning Team at email@example.com