[WARNING] Irish family of 10 rushed to hospital after narrowly escaping FRIGHTENING tragedy at home

13th Nov 18 | News

Please be VERY careful!

A family of 10 was thankfully saved from carbon monoxide poisoning at the weekend when a teenage boy woke up feeling sick at a property leased from Clare County Council.

The alarm was raised by neighbour Sean Noonan, who found dad Coleman Sherlock and his unconscious son, Evan, 13, slumped outside their door at around 4am.The children’s mother, Priscilla, was also leaning against the front door and was said to be “in a bad way.”

Neighbour Sean Noonan said:

"Only for young Evan waking up feeling sick in the middle of the night, all of this young family would be dead today."

He continued:

“Evan told me ‘I feel sick. I can’t breathe.'

Evan tried to open up a window but collapsed. I grabbed him and brought him outside.

When I saw Priscilla coming to the door and puking, I knew there was something wrong in the house and all the kids had to get out of there.”

Shortly after 4am on Saturday morning, the Ambulance Service made contact with colleagues at the regional emergency call centre with the message:

“Possible Carbon Monoxide - one child passed out and four patients short of breath”.

Priscilla and Coleman had been earlier watching a film with a number of their sons downstairs and they all fell unconscious in the sitting room where there was a fire burning in the open fireplace. 

Their daughters and other two boys, Carina (aged 14), Nicole (aged 11), Priscilla (aged 10) and Kathleen (aged 9), Martin (aged 8), Coleman (aged 4) and Miko who will turn two in January, were all sleeping upstairs. They were brought next door to Mr Noonan’s home after the alarm was raised before being brought to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) by ambulance.

They were all released on Saturday afternoon after getting the all-clear.

Often known as the 'silent killer', carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas and is very difficult to detect. 
Six people in Ireland die every year, on average, as a result of unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning - with many more becoming ill as a result of exposure to it.

MORE FROM XPOSÉ