Sewing needles have been found DELIBERATELY hidden inside strawberries

13th Sep 18 | News

A disgruntled former supermarket worker is said to be behind the shocking act!

Customers in Australia have been told today to return or throw away punnets of strawberries due to the contamination after a man who swallowed one was rushed to hospital. The 21 year old was taken into hospital with  "severe abdominal pain" after swallowing half a needle inside a strawberry on Sunday.

Sewing needles have been found in a number of punnets of strawberries purchased from Woolworths stores in Queensland and Victoria.

The owner of the farm linked to the needle scandal was said to be 'heartbroken' over the news.

A Woolsworths spokesperson said:

"Woolworths takes food safety very seriously and we are looking into these claims with our supplier," it said in a statement.

We are working closely with authorities as they investigate this matter.

We have withdrawn Berry Obsession and Berrylicious branded strawberries from sale while this incident is being investigated."

MORE FROM XPOSÉ