[PIC] IKEA Ireland issues URGENT product recall over SERIOUS risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

25th Apr 18 | News

Thousands of IKEA gas hobs have been recalled for repair due to risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Ikea insisted that it has issued the recall as a precautionary measure.

The Swedish retailer is urging customers, who purchased the product before January 1st 2018, to stop using the rapid burner in the upper right corner of any version of the Eldslaga hob.

IKEA have said the fault was due to "human error" which resulted in the wrong gas injector being installed, leading to CO emissions above EU limits.

The company has asked affected customers to contact its customer service team to book a home visit by a technician to repair the fault, a receipt is not required for the service.

A spokesman for the company said in a statement:

"Due to a human error at the supplier the wrong gas injector was installed resulting in CO emissions above European Union requirements. CO is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headache, nausea, dizziness, tiredness, stomach pain and can in very extreme cases lead to death. The investigation shows that the wrong injector does not increase the risk of fire or explosion. There have been no reported incidents."

Anyone affected can contact their Customer Service team on (01) 541 3302 to book a time for the repair service and a receipt is not required for the service.