Dog dies during flight after owner was FORCED to place it in overhead bin

14th Mar 18 | News

The woman was devastated to discover her puppy was dead when the flight landed

A woman was left devastated after she discovered her dog had died during a United Airlines flight after the attendant forced her to place her pet in the overhead bin.

Maggie Gremminger, a passenger on the flight from Houston, said a flight attendant told the woman she must place the pre-approved pet carrier case in the overhead bins before the flight took off.

The woman explained her 10 month old pet French Bulldog was in the case but eventually complied with the request.

The dog was reportedly heard barking during take-off and during some turbulence before going silent.

When the flight landed at New York’s La Guardia airport, the woman discovered her beloved pet had died and was seen cradling her puppy and sobbing.



In a series of tweets, Gremminger wrote: “I just flew into LGA and witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a passenger to put her dog bag in the overhead bin. It was clearly a dog and while the customer was adamant about leaving it under the seat, the attendant pushed her to do so.”

“Myself and a fellow passenger felt like that was NOT a thing. I am not a flight attendant tho. Maybe they have air ventilation in there that I didn’t know about. I tried googling rules about pets on board but didn’t have ample time before takeout.”

“At the end of the flight, the woman found her dog, deceased. She sat in the aeroplane aisle crying, and all of surrounding passengers were utterly stunned.”

“I am disgusted and traumatized. Pets are family. How could a trained flight attendant instruct a passenger to place her dog in that bin. It was her job to understand the plane and it’s rules/limitations.”

United Airlines have taken full responsibility for the incident.

A statement from the airline read: "We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them.”

"We are thoroughly investigating what occurred to prevent this from ever happening again. Pets should never be placed in the overhead bin.”