Dermot O'Leary to quit as presenter of National Television Awards13th Feb 19 | Entertainment News
He will end his ties with the award show in 2020.
Dermot O’Leary has announced he will be stepping down from presenting the National Television Awards (NTAs) after a decade hosting the ceremony.
The presenter of The X Factor has taken the “tough decision” to leave the award show in 2020.
O’Leary began hosting the annual NTAs in 2010 and has decided 10 years at the helm will be long enough.
His decision follows a jibe from fellow ITV presenter Declan Donnelly at the most recent NTA awards, when the Britain’s Got Talent host wished O’Leary a “happy retirement”.
O’Leary had previously told the Press Association that if Ant and Dec won another award at the annual ceremony, then the rest of the competition “may as well chuck in the towel”.
The presenter has decided to end his hosting duties, and has hinted he is looking forward to a winter break in place of presenting the award.
He wrote on Instagram: “After 10 years of proudly hosting the National Television Awards, I have decided it’s time to step down as host.
“It’s been a tough decision because we have had a ball over the last decade, but 10 years feels about right.
“I would like to thank Indigo and my ITV family for a brilliant ten years and look forward to proudly passing on the baton in 2020…and a holiday in January.”
O’Leary said we “may as well just chuck in the towel” if Ant and Dec scooped an NTA despite the long screen absence of one half of the duo in 2018.
They duly won the award at the ceremony in January, prompting Donnelly to say in his acceptance speech: “Special mention to Dermot, who said he was going to chuck the towel in if we won this year, so happy retirement Dermot.”
© Press Association 2019