The 14 year old was lucky to not have been seriously injured
A 14 year old girl is lucky to not have been blinded or severely disabled after she was attacked on her way to school.
Sophie McVeigh, who attends Ballymena Academy in Northern Ireland, was on her way to school on Wednesday morning when a boy took a lit firework out of his pocket and threw it away.
Sophie’s mother Claire explained that her daughter looked up only to see the firework coming for her.
Luckily she spotted it in enough time to duck and pull her friend out of the way.
She told the Belfast Telegraph: "Sophie and her friend went to The Kiosk shop to get sweets before school. They were standing outside the shop and suddenly she saw a firework coming towards her,
"Sophie ducked or it would have been straight into her face, but her friend didn't see it, so she grabbed him and pulled him down too.
"The firework landed behind them, and it was so close that the sparks were flying out over them.
"She didn't see who lit or threw the firework and there were pupils from several local schools there, but she shouted to the boys standing where it came from and they all laughed; they didn't care that it was dangerous.
"Sophie could have been blinded or permanently disfigured - it was just down to luck."
Claire claims she has heard of a number of antisocial incidents involving fireworks in the past week and believes it is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured.
"I was told that they have been letting off fireworks every day for the past few days, and that small area is always packed with schoolkids, increasing the chances that someone will be injured,"
Neighbourhood policing team Inspector for the PSNI Michael Simpson said that it is "illegal to possess, sell, handle or use fireworks if you do not have a licence”.