These catwalk copycats are as stylish as their luxury counterparts - but at a fraction of the cost.
In less three years, Gucci creative director Alessandro Michele has overhauled the Italian brand, producing a string of stand-out collections in his trademark quirky-cool style.
From chintzy borrowed-from-Grandma frocks, to silk bomber jackets that celebs can’t get enough of, Michele has been responsible for more than his fair share of high fashion must-haves – but it’s Gucci’s handbags that have been most ubiquitous since the 44-year-old was installed at its helm.
These boxy bags, in patchwork snakeskin or logo-covered leather, come encrusted with bejewelled bees or animal brooches – the beige chain-handled Dionysus is the fashionista’s favourite – but at upwards of £2,000 each, they’re a bit on the pricey side to say the least.
Fear not, however, because the ‘Gucci Effect’ is being felt on the high street – big time – with handbags that combine a ladylike shape with unexpected embellishments and embroidery.
Can’t afford a Dionysus? Us neither, which is why we’ll be picking up one of these bargain bags this season…
1. Marks and Spencer Collection Faux Leather Embroidered Tote Bag, £45
2. Dune Dessie Grey Bag, £60
3. Accessorize Snake Handheld Bag, £40
4. River Island Tan Snake Cross Body Bag, £32
5. Therapy Dhalia Tote Bag, currently reduced to £30 from £55, House of Fraser
6. V by Very Flower and Bumble Bee Embellished Crossbody Bag, £28
7. SimplyBe Across Body Bag with Studs, £35
© Press Association 2017