Sat, 22 June 2019
For the crust:
200g Self-raising flour (about 1 ½ cups)
120g Light brown sugar (1/2 cup packed)
120g Butter (roughly ¼ lb.)
For the filling:
2 eggs, beaten
240g Light muscovado sugar (1 cup firmly packed)
140g Dessicated coconut (1 ½ cups)
4g Salt (½ teaspoon)
20g Self-raising flour (2 Tablespoons)
4g Baking powder (½ teaspoon)
4g Vanilla (½ teaspoon)
190g Chopped or ground walnuts (1 cup)
For the Glaze:
20g Melted butter (1 generous Tablespoon)
Juice of 1 large lemon, or 2 small lemons (absolutely not bottled lemon juice!)
170g Icing sugar (about a cup)
- For the crust, combine ingredients and press into 9x13" rectangular pan.
- Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- For the filling, beat eggs with sugar. Stir in the rest of the filling ingredients.
- When combined, spread gently and evenly on top of warm crust. Bake for 25 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a small bowl, combine the glaze ingredients and beat with a small whisk or fork until smooth. Ensure any small white lumps of icing sugar or lemon seeds are gone.
- While the filled crust is still warm, spread with glaze. The glaze will be thin, so drizzle it on top and spread it over the bars.
- To serve, wait until the glaze has set and cut into twenty four two-inch squares. There's no need to refrigerate.