Seared Mackerel with beetroot, horseradish, apple and pea shoot salad
Sat, 28 July 2018
(Serves 4 )
4 large Mackerel, filleted and pin-boned
For the horseradish cream:
300g crème fraiche
2tbsp horseradish cream
1tbsp of Dijon mustard
1 lemon juice
For the beetroot relish:
500g of beetroot, cooked and finely diced
1 hand full of chives
1 lemon juice
Salt and pepper
For the apple pea shoot salad:
1 apple (finely sliced)
1 bunch of pea shoots
1. For the horseradish cream, place the crème fraiche in a bowl, add the horseradish cream and Dijon mustard and mix together. Stir in the salt, pepper and lemon juice.
2. To make the beetroot relish, bind together the beetroot and 3 teaspoons of the horseradish cream until it has an unctuous, buttery consistency. It should not be too dry or wet and should be a vibrant colour. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
3. Place a non-stick pan on a medium heat and add a little olive oil. Season the mackerel and place skin-side down in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
4. Turn over then remove mackerel from pan. Finish with salt pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
5. Mix the pea shoots and sliced apple and lightly dress with olive oil and lemon juice
6. To serve, spoon a serving of the beetroot relish onto the centre of each plate. Lay one seared fillet of mackerel on top, and then place the dressed salad on top of the mackerel.