Catherine Leyden's Gluten Free Pear, Walnut and Goats Cheese Tart
• 225g/8oz Odlums Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
• 50g/2oz Butter or Margarine
• Pinch of Salt
• Cold water
• 25g/1oz Butter
• 2 Pears (peeled, cored & cubed)
• 80g Packet Shamrock Walnuts
• 1 Teaspoon Goodall's Thyme
• 2 Eggs
• 3 Tablespoons Milk or Cream
• 1 Tablespoon Freshly Chopped Parsley
• 80g Goats Cheese (crumbled or sliced)
Method: 1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease an 18cms/7" flan dish.
2. Put the Tritamyl into a bowl and rub in the butter or margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in the salt. Add sufficient water to mix to a soft dough. Cover with cling film until ready to use.
3. Meanwhile melt the butter in a pan, add the pears walnuts and thyme. Allow pears to soften over a low heat, stirring occasionally. When pears are transparent remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Beat the eggs and milk or cream together, stir in the parsley.
5. Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of cling film and use to line the flan tin. Put in pear mixture then pour on the liquid and place in a central oven position for about 15 minutes.
6. Then place the cheese on top and bake for a further 15 minutes until cheese is golden brown.