Brown Soda Bread
Wed, 30 June 2021
Catherine Leyden's Homemade Brown Soda Bread
· 350g/12 oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
· 125g/4 oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
· 15g/½ oz Odlums Wheatgerm (optional)
· 275-425ml/½-¾ pt Buttermilk or Sour Cream
· 1 tsp Odlums Bread Soda
· ½ tsp Salt
· 25g/1 oz Odlums Wheat Bran (optional)
1. Sieve the cream plain flour, salt and bread soda into a bowl. Mix in the wholemeal flour, wheatgerm and wheat bran, if used. Add enough milk to make a soft dough.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured board. Knead until the mixture comes together smoothly.
3. Place dough on a floured baking sheet. Cut a cross over the top.
4. Place in a central oven position and bake in a preheated oven 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for approx 40 mins.
5. When baked the bread will have a hollow sound if tapped on the base. Cool on a wire tray. A dry tea towel wrapped around the bread at this stage helps to give a softer crust.
Note: Bread can also be baked in a 7" deep cake tin