Bread & Butter Pudding
Wed, 31 July 2019
1 loaf Fruit Soda Bread (see below)
50g/2oz Butter, softened and extra for greasing
150g/5oz Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar
100g packet Shamrock Chocolate Chips
Fruit Soda Bread
450g/1lb Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon Odlums Bread Soda
2 level teaspoons Cream of Tartar
Good pinch of Salt
1 tablespoon Shamrock Golden Caster Sugar (optional)
50g/2oz Butter or Margarine
50g/2oz Shamrock Sultanas, Raisins or Currents
300ml/½ pint Milk (approx)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease an ovenproof dish with butter.
- Slice fruit soda bread into slices and butter each slice.
- Whisk the milk, sugar and eggs together in a bowl.
- Place a single layer of the bread in the dish, pour ? of the milk mixture over and then sprinkle ? of the chocolate chips on top.
- Repeat another layer of the bread, milk mixture and chocolate chips.
- Then finish with a final layer of bread, milk mixture and chocolate chips, and bake for 50 minutes in preheated oven until golden brown and crunchy on top.
- Serve warm with cream.
Fruit Soda Bread
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
- Sieve flour, bread soda, cream of tartar and salt into a bowl. Add sugar, if using.
- Rub in butter/margarine until mixture resembles breadcrumbs, lifting with fingertips to introduce air to the dough.
- Mix in the fruit, then add milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead a little.
- Turn the smooth side up and shape into a round. Place the dough on a floured tin and cut a cross over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Bread is baked when it produces a hollow sound when tapped underneath.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a tea towel to give a soft crust.