Wed, 12 June 2019
225g/8oz Odlums cream plain flour
200g/7oz butter or margarine, softened
50g/2oz icing sugar
1 heaped teaspoon cornflour
1 tin condensed milk, simmered for three hours and cooled
3 bananas, sliced
1 carton creamm whipped
Grated chocolate or crushed Cadbury’s Flake
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4.
- Grease and line a loose-bottomed 23cm/9”cake tin.
- Sieve the flour, icing sugar and cornflour into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter/margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Press into the prepared tin and bake in preheated oven for pprox. 20 minutes until golden in colour. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Place the unopened tin of condensed milk in a saucepan covered with sufficient water to cover top of tin.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a low simmer for three hours.
- Make sure the level of the water does not fall below the tin of condensed milk during simmering.
- Remove tin from saucepan and allow to cool. This can be done a few days in advance.
- Spread toffee over the cold shortbread.
- Gently remove from the cake tin and place on a serving plate.
- Arrange the sliced bananas on top of the toffee, cover with the whipped cream and decorate with grated or flaked chocolate.