Are you an aspiring writer with a story to tell? Well the Ireland AM Christmas short story competition is back and this year Authors Paul Howard and Sheila O'Flanagan, alongside Editor of Irish Country Magazine, Klara Heron will be judging the completion.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION:
- The Theme this year is ‘A Christmas Surprise’
- It can be fiction or non-fiction
- The short story can be aimed at children, young adults or adults
- The winning story will be printed in Irish Country Magazine, read out live on air the week of the 15th of December and the winner will receive a €500 voucher for Dubray Books to spend on this year’s must have reads!
- Competition closes on Monday the 2nd of December at 5pm
PAUL HOWARD’S WRITING TIPS:
Learn how to concentrate.
Your first draft is just a draft - writing is rewriting.
SHEILA O’FLANAGAN’S WRITING TIPS:
Because the story is short, you need to have a clear idea of what you want to say.
Make every word matter
Read dialogue out loud to check that it sounds natural
Recently we were lucky to be joined on the AM couch by all 3 judges, you can watch the clip below
Festive cheer is all well and good but when Santa’s sleigh pulls up on your rooftop in the early hours of Christmas morning, what you really want him clutching in his arms is a bounty of cutting-edge tech.