Joe Shannon’s Crispy Chicken Cakes with Creamy Caper Sauce
Tue, 18 June 2019
4 slices of bread
½ diced onion
4 cloves of chopped garlic
100g butter (you can use oil if you prefer)
2tsp of chopped tarragon
600g minced chicken
Sea salt and pepper
200g panko breadcrumbs (regular breadcrumbs are fine if you don’t have panko)
For the sauce
2 cloves of garlic minced
100g baby capers
50ml chicken stock
200ml full fat cream
Juice and rind of ½ a lemon
1. Soak bread in milk, and leave to one side for 20 minutes.
2. Fry the onion and garlic in some butter until soft but without colour. Let cool.
3. Mix together the soaked milk, chicken mince, the cooled onion and garlic, and tarragon in a bowl.
4. Season with salt and pepper and bind together with 1 egg. Leave covered in a fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Remove from the cold room, mould into six cakes, dip each cake into the breadcrumbs and cover all over.
6. Fry in some butter until cooked fully through (core temperature of 75c), place on a tray and leave to one side while you make your sauce.
For the sauce
1. Using the pan in which you cooked the chicken, add a knob of butter and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Add the capers, chicken stock and cream, and reduce until starting to thicken to a coating consistency.
3. Add the lemon rind and juice, now coat over your chicken cakes and serve with a nice salad.